December 2, 2011

Animalia

My latest Treasury celebrates the Wildlife of the Pacific Northwest. All of the animals represented here through craft are animals I have seen in the past year, practically in my backyard! 



The bronze sculpture of the Rough-skinned Newt (Taricha granulosa) inspired me to create this Treasury. We have lots of these in our pond and it's so neat to see them swim around with each other under the water.




 The artist, Cindy Cantelon, makes other PNW species like turtles, frogs, slugs and bugs into sculptures out of different metals using the lost wax casting technique which she sells at her ETSY shop Earthly Creatures




The Eastern counterpart of this Newt is the Red Eft, (Notophthalmus viridescens), one of my personal favorite creatures and one that I have named my business after: Red Eft Designs where I sell my handcrafted Silk Shibori Pleated Scarves.