July 19, 2012

Miniature Eats

Continuing on with our theme of crafts that look like real things, I bring you my latest ETSY treasury Miniature Food highlighting the best and freshest miniature foods available! 


Most of these creations are made from polymer clay or other plastics/resins. I was inspired to create this treasury after viewing miniatures by Shay Aaron Miniatures. He makes such neat foods, and his mini hummus plate is in this Treasury because it's so unique and it was hard to pick just one! Check out the rest of his miniatures, including this mini sushi platter at his ETSY shop shayaaron

Photo Copyright Shay Aaron

  I remember my first experience with Polymer Clay when I was just 10 or so, a single bar of white Fimo that I made into tiny dollhouse food and painted. A Turkey and potatoes I think it was...then I moved up to colored clay and made miniatures of all kinds: frogs, dinosaurs, potted plants and jewelry. One of my greatest caning accomplishments was just a few years ago when I made 6 different fruit canes: Orange, Lemon, Lime, Pink Grapefruit, Kiwi and Watermelon, then sliced them up into tiny magnets. They're still available so check them out at my ETSY shop redeftdesigns or click on the picture below. 



The two best books out there for mini food are by Angie Scarr and i own them both. They are easy to follow, have lots of beautiful closeup photos and use interesting, new and inventive polymer clay techniques to get results that look just like food! Check out her books, tutorials, canes and supplies on her website or see her books below.





Still hungry for mini food? Can't get enough? Check out a few of these neat mini-food blogs and tutorials.


 ~

Bon appetit!