April 4, 2013

More Mushrooms

Mushrooms ~ I love their form, their delicate gills, top heavy caps and stately postures. Here is a reverse applique Tie Dye T-Shirt with mushroom patch I made in 2008. Both fabrics are hand dyed, the mushroom shape was stitched on a machine and then cut to reveal the colors underneath!


This last week I have been making these cute woodburned mushrooms...fun! 
Each one is made from 3/4" pine and cut to mushroom shape. I get the shapes from ClickityClack on ETSY. Then, I burned on the details using a woodburning pen, including all the edges which gives them a cartoony look that I like. I also sign the base with the pen my initials 'ADSG'. 

 

Then, I paint them with an assortment of non-toxic watercolor paints, using line and color to reproduce specific types of mushroom species as these cute miniatures. Each mushroom is around 2 to 4 inches tall.  


After painting, the mushrooms are rubbed with a beeswax and organic hemp oil balm which I melted together and whipped up using this recipe from Amber Dusick aka woodmouse on ETSY who has lots of other toy tutorials on her blog. The oil finishes them, makes them waterproof and useful as kid toys, and preserves their color and surface. The result is a smooth, beautiful and natural object that can safely go straight from display on your mantle and into a little one's hands!

The Purple Cort (Cortinarius violaceus)

Slippery Jack Bolete (Suillus luteus

 Slippery Jack Bolete (Suillus luteus

 Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria)

Morel (Morchella esculenta)



You might just find one lurking beneath a tree! 
You can purchase these and other mushrooms at my ETSY shop redeftdesigns!
Or, go make your own!

~Happy Equinox~